A Beginner’s Guide to Dedicated Server
When your site grows, you know it is time to move up on the hosting plan. The hosting needs to be able to keep up with your site’s growth. If your site has reached a point where you get more than a hundred visitors in a day, then it is time to upgrade your hosting. Dedicated servers in Europe offer you with more resources to help your site as it continues to grow. There are plenty of benefits that you enjoy when you upgrade to a dedicated server. Some of the benefits include security and improved performance. You will also be in control of the server and can configure any element of the server.
When you are shifting from shared hosting to dedicated hosting, you will not get the hang of it for a while. If you are new to dedicated hosting, then you have come to the right place. Here are some basics that you need to know about dedicated hosting.
WHAT IS A Dedicated Server
When you have a dedicated server, it means that you are renting a server to use specifically for your website. You can configure your server so that it meets your specifications. The hosting plan also gives you more memory that you can use for your site. Thus, you get better loading times.
It is unlike shared hosting when you only get a limited space on a server. On shared hosting, when one website is bushy it can draw resources from your site. You get a single server for yourself. You will not be sharing your server with any other website. You will be able to tailor the server so that it meets your site needs.
The dedicated server is more costly than the shared hosting. However, you will get value for your money. If you have received large traffic to your site within a short time, you need to go for the dedicated server. Dedicated servers have microprocessors, hard drives, and RAM. You will get plenty of resources.
There are two parts of a dedicated server: managed server and unmanaged server.
- Unmanaged server: It is when you are the one responsible for controlling your server. You will be responsible for maintenance of the server.
Pros of a dedicated server
There are many benefits that you get with a dedicated server. They include:
Reliability is one of the reasons you need to get a dedicated server. You will be in control and there is reduced downtime. You are not sharing the bandwidth with any site. Thus, you can make sure that your visitors do not get any issues with the bandwidth.
Whether you choose unmanaged or managed server, you will be in complete control. You can change the software to meet your software requirements. You can also improvise your server.
Using a shared server means that you cannot access all the features. When you change some features, it affects other users on the shared server. However, with a dedicated server hosting, you get the resources and server for yourself and get more flexibility.
Your business needs are always smaller when you are just getting started. You may not need a large number of resources to manage your site. As your business grows, you will require more resources. A dedicated server ensures that you can increase the resource as your site grows.
A dedicated server is able to handle large amounts of information. Thus, your server will not disappoint when it comes to performance. You will not have to deal with downtime when your site has heavy traffic.
You will be able to create requirements according to your security needs. It is possible to make your site more secure. It will not be easy for a person to access your information, passwords, and files. Thus, you get secure hosting option when you combine security patches and regular updates.
CONS OF Dedicated Server
- It is more costly and the dedicated servers need more maintenance and technical knowledge to run. It is also important to know-how whether the dedicated server is suitable for you. Here are some ways to decide if you need dedicated hosting. Even though a dedicated server is a good option it may not be suitable for all sites.
- You want increased security: there has been an increase in hacking. If you have a company that deals with sensitive data like credit card numbers, you need to have more security on your site. The dedicated server gives you that kind of security. You can configure the security to meet your needs. A dedicated server allows you to create a firewall that will keep out the hackers. With a dedicated server, you ensure that your site is safe.
- You need improved server stability: a dedicated server offer improved performance. If you want to have a stable server, you need to get a dedicated server. With such hosting, you do not have to worry about the effects of one site affecting your resources. Your dedicated server is only meant for you and you will not experience any lag.
- You want to control the server configuration: shared hosting can limit the way you configure a server. You can set up your server the way that fits your needs.
Choosing a Dedicated Server
So, now that you know you need a dedicated server, how do you choose the right hosting company? Here are a few things that will guide you on choosing a dedicated server.
- Storage needs: look for a dedicated server with the right amount of space. Choose the number of data that is being handled.
- memory needs: it is important you check if the hosting plan meets the memory requirements. The memory will affect loading speed so you have to choose wisely. Check for the RAM since it is what allows your visitors to access information on your dedicated server. A website with more RAM will load faster.
- Processor: it is also important to look for a dedicated server with the right processor. The processor depends on the applications and type of plugins on your website.
- Technical support: the hosting company you chose should be available 24/7 in case you need help. They should also be available to help you with any technical difficulties.
- Customer reviews: through the customer reviews, you will know if the company is credible or not
- Up-time: the up-time is important since you will lose revenue when your site is down.
Now you have everything you need to get started using a dedicated server. You should look for one that will meet your needs. Take your time when looking for a dedicated server hosting company. If you have the budget then, by all means, go for the European dedicated servers. You stand to benefit from the advantages it has to offer.